Friday 14 June 2013

My First Attempt on a Snowboard


Lesson One:

How did I spend my first snowboard lesson? Falling over again, again and, yep again. Turns out my lack of coordination and reflex action do not make me a natural at this. It doesn't help when those in your 'beginner' lesson are freaks of nature who pick it up like ducks to water. All the while my behind spent a lot of time snuggled in the snow.  I was even thwarted by strapping myself in the board. One of the first parts of the lesson. I should have known what was to come.

Getting down the slope wouldn't be easy.  Control? Bah! That's for losers. Try crashing about the place with no idea where you're going, that 's an extreme sport! As I was knackered, by the end of the two hour lesson I began sliding my bottom down the hill to just get off the freaking mountain! I was feeling frustrated at my self, why couldn't I be like one of those wonder kids? Why god, why did you make me this way?  I sucked. Big time.  If I didn't buckle down and get some practice in, I'd be looking a lot like this fellow above.

The next day...

I really didn't want to go back to the slope alone. Dark thoughts of spending my afternoon making no progress in the learners corner began to surface. Self doubt is a very good friend of mine.  But then I started to think about a time I totally sucked at something and got through it.  I remembered having to learn to swim properly, aged twenty-two.  At the start it seemed impossible and a goal completely out of my reach. But after many hours in the pool, I got there. So why should this be different? I needed to put the time in and start to get a feel for snowboarding.

At around mid day I got to Coronet Peak and headed for the magic carpet - the conveyor belt that takes you up the beginner slope.  To my surprise,  I actually began to improve.  The first time down - four falls. The next - two. And then I was making it down in one go.  I could avoid people and maneuver (very crudely) away from danger.  It was only after three hours, when my legs began to ache and my concentration was waning, that I decided to call it a day.

 I may not be a natural, but I'm feeling positive about the next four months.  And hey, at least I didn't end up in hospital this time, which is always a plus.

Image found at www.jokeroo.com. 

6 comments:

Jill said...

Hmm... if you learned to swim at 22 then maybe there's still hope for me at 28? Maybe?

Nice work on the slopes. Glad you didn't give up. I might have... ;)

Anonymous said...

Helen, this is excellent. I also spent a lot of time on my bum during my day course. Now I know that there is a fellow beginner out there who has recently experienced the pains of learning.

I found that the next day/week everything hurt. I had pulled muscles in every space and place possible. Yet I was still satisfied that I came away with my bones in tact.

Rika said...

Aw - don't worry! The first 10 times I went I felt like I was getting WORSE every time....but the more you keep at it, the better it gets. Especially if you get to do it all the time! You'll have the hang of it soon :)

Unknown said...

Yes learn to swim at any age. I used to freak out if I put my head in water and now I have a padi diving certificate. Do it!!! X

Unknown said...

Currently my whole body aches, I can feel muscles I didn't even know I had! X

Unknown said...

Thanks rika! I hope that one day it just clicks :)

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...