Wednesday 24 August 2011

Cairns, I think I love you


As soon as I landed in Cairns, I had a good feeling about this place.  By the time I collected my bags and got my courtesy pick-up to my hostel, I still had the majority of the day to explore.  The first of my road trip companions, Lou, was flying in that evening, so I had some time to kill. Cairns was one of those towns that embraced its holiday destination status; people strolled down the streets, shop staff were courteous without being overbearing and the weather was sunny.
After four months in the outback, I did indulge in a bit of shopping and then spent some time at the waterfront.  As this was salt croc and jellyfish country, the sea was a no-go area. However the man made lagoon was a good enough substitute for me.


The next day, it was time to pick up the final member for the road trip. In the morning Me and Lou headed out of the town to Mount n' Ride, a horse trekking company situated in the rain forest.  The tall one had been working here as a horse riding instructor and it was time for me to get back on a horse!  Having a trot on my horse for the day, Xena, was a highlight to the rain forest trek and thank you Mount n' ride for the experience.

Back into Cairns and the trio was complete. For a couple of days we stayed in a motel room at the rainbow inn.  It was a bit of a walk out of town but we got a good price for a private room. We spent our days sunbathing at the lagoon, eating good food, taking part in free zumba lessons (which was so much fun) and then our evenings at Gilligan's.

I didn't really take that many great  photos during this time, but I really liked these two at the marina.

And on Monday, the diving commenced....




No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...